The course will cover the History of Surgery in Arabic, Indian cultures, Ancient Greek-Roman, European and analyse their contributions to current thinking and practice in Surgery from a historical angle.
Topics will include a variety from:
- Babylonian-Hammurabai, Ancient Egypt- Imhotep
- Alexandria Herophilus
- Arabic-Rhazes,Avicenna, Abulcasis
- India: Charaka and Sushruta Ancient Greece: Hippocrates, Asclepios, Chiron
- Roman: Galen, Army Hospitals
- Medici Family: St Cosmos and Damien
- Italy: Andreas Vesalius
- England: Gonville and Caius (Cambridge) and William Harvey, James Simpson, Joseph Lister, John Hunter and Paul Brand
- Naval surgical history
- Robotic surgery
- Royal College of Surgeons and American College of Surgeons
- American and British Mission Hospitals.
On completion of this session participants will be able to:
- classify and analyse alternative and conventional medicine from its origins in the Arabic, Greek-Roman and European areas to its relevance today.
- discuss and identify key developments in the History of Surgery in these cultures
Who should attend?
This course is designed for people who have an interest in the broader picture of History of Surgery in Arabic, Indian, Chinese, European Cultures.
- Wednesday 5 September, 6:30 - 8:30pm
- $35.00 incl. GST
- The University of Auckland, City Campus
- Presented by Augustine Dass
BSc(Hons) History of Medicine and Basic Medical Sciences
Augustine is a New Zealand Citizen who was born in the American Mission Hospital, Sultanate of Oman where his father was General Surgeon. He was educated at Emmanuel Grammar School and graduated from University College London,England in History of Medicine with Basic Medical Sciences.The History of Medicine component was completed at the History of Medicine Institute, London and the Basic Medical Sciences (Preclinical) plus clinical training (Beaumont Hospital) at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Medical University. Augustine is currently a contract Educator who has been a lecturer/tutor at colleges and Universities and has taught Academic English, Medical Registration preparation courses and Business courses.