Germany & Austria Study Tour
10 – 21 July 2018
Join us as we travel through Bonn, Munich, Salzburg and Vienna and follow in the ‘footsteps of Beethoven’.
Nancy is a Senior Lecturer in musicology. Her research and teaching interests centre on the music of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries: aesthetics, analysis, and performance history and practices. In 2006-07 she was Edison Fellow at the British Library, where she investigated the performance history of Haydn’s and Beethoven’s string quartets. Recent publications include essays on the early performance of Beethoven’s string quartets, and their performance history in the recording age. Recent awards include an Alexander Humboldt von Fellowship, a Marsden grant from the New Zealand Royal Society, and a Research Fellowship from the Gerda-Henkel Foundation. She is currently completing critical reports on the middle-period string quartets for Beethoven Werke, and editing a three-volume set of fifteen string quartets by Beethoven’s contemporary Emmanuel Aloys Förster.
- Day 1 – Bonn, Germany – Group meeting & afternoon tea
- Day 2, Bonn, Germany – Bonn for beginners guided tour and a visit to Beethoven Haus
- Day 3, Bonn, Germany – Visit to Schumann Haus
- Day 4, Munich, Germany – Travel to Munich by train
- Day 5, Munich, Germany – Morning at leisure followed group afternoon tea and a lecture on Mozart
- Day 6, Munich, Germany – Munich city walking tour, followed by 2 course lunch and an evening performance at the Munich State Opera
- Day 7, Salzburg, Austria – Travel from Munich to Salzburg by train. Tour of Mozart’s birthplace
- Day 8, Salzburg, Austria – Tour of Mozarteum University, visit to Wolfgansee Lake for a picnic lunch & an evening Mirabell Palace concert (if available)
- Day 9, Vienna, Austria – Travel to Vienna by train. Afternoon orientation tour.
- Day 10, Vienna, Austria – Guided city tour of Vienna followed by a visit to the State Opera House and Schoenbrunn Palace grand tour.
- Day 11, Vienna, Austria – Day trip to Eisenstadt. Visit Esterhazy Palace before returning to Vienna.
- Day 12, Vienna Austria – Tour of the Wien Museum Beethoven Pasqualatihaus. Half day trip to Baden to enjoy the mineral springs followed by group farewell dinner back in Vienna.
- Day 13, Vienna, Austria – No planned activities today. Tour concludes.
We’re currently working with our travel supplier on pricing for this tour. Register your interest above to be kept up to date with details regarding this tour.