The course will cover the History of Medicine in Arabic, and Indian cultures and analyse their contributions to current thinking and practice in Medicine from a historical angle.
Topics covered include:
- Indus Valley civilization, Harappa,Mohenjo-Daro
- Buddhism, yoga, Tibet
- Ayurvedic Medicine: Atharva-Veda/ Rig Veda – Charaka, Charaka Samhita. Dhanvantari
- Surgery: Shusruta
- Greek/Roman/Persian Influence: Alexander the Great, Aristotle, Galen and Avicenna
- Unani Medical system: Mughal medicine
- Portuguese/ British/American influence
- Ronald Ross (Malaria); Wellesley Bailey (Leprosy Mission) and Paul Brand (Surgery); Mother Theresa.
- Assyrian Church of the East: St Thomas; Roman Catholic Church, Methodist, Salvation Army
- Presbyterian Church and American Mission Hospitals: Scudder family: Vellore Medical College
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
- classify and analyse alternative and conventional medicine from its origins in Indian medicine to its relevance today
- discuss and identify key developments in the History of Medicine in these cultures and the influence on Western Medicine
Who should attend?
This course is designed for anyone who has an interest in the broader picture of History of Medicine in Indian cultures.
Augustine is a New Zealand Citizen who was born in the American Mission Hospital, Sultanate of Oman where his father was General Surgeon. He was educated at Emmanuel Grammar School and graduated from University College London, England in History of Medicine with Basic Medical Sciences. The History of Medicine component was completed at the History of Medicine Institute, London and the Basic Medical Sciences (Preclinical) plus clinical training (Beaumont Hospital) at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland Medical University. Clinical electives included the Methodist Mission Hospital in India. Augustine is currently a contract Educator who has been a lecturer/tutor at colleges and Universities and has taught Academic English, Medical Registration preparation courses and Business courses.
No Results Found
The posts you requested could not be found. Try changing your module settings or create some new posts.