New Zealand Pharmacy Legislation
This course is to introduce overseas qualified pharmacists to the professional, legal and ethical responsibilities of pharmacists in the New Zealand health care environment.
To enrol in the course, overseas trained pharmacists must have passed both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the Knowledge Assessment of Pharmaceutical Sciences (KAPS) Exam within the allowable timeframe. Ten modules will be delivered online over 12 weeks. The modules will introduce students to why regulations for medicines exist and what protections they afford. They will also provide opportunities to explore the legal, ethical and professional obligations in situations reflecting practice. Each of the modules will draw upon and focus on three overarching themes: medicines, pharmacist and patient.
Each module requires the successful completion of a number of activities, including discussion threads, self assessable activities and the completion of a quiz. You are required to successfully complete all components of the course including the module activities in order to pass the course.
Candidates will sit a final assessment (100%) in week 12 of the programme.
On successful completion of the course, a pharmacist will be able to:
- Understand the rationale, importance and purpose of regulations that impact on pharmacy practice in New Zealand
- Understand how to read and interpret Codes, Acts and Regulations as they pertain to New Zealand pharmacy practice
- Identify the Acts, Regulations and Codes that relate to New Zealand pharmacy practice
- Understand and explain the relationship between relevant sections of the Codes, Acts and Regulations and pharmacy practice in New Zealand
- Demonstrate sound knowledge and understanding of:
- Ethical principles and values of the profession that underpin the Pharmacy Council Code of Ethics
- Legal and ethical framework within which the profession operates
- The professional Code of Ethics
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional standards and ethical and professional responsibilities as they relate to the New Zealand pharmacy environment.
- See available course dates above
- $2400.00 incl. GST
- Online Course
- Presented by Sanya Ram